A dog owner must obtain an identification tag from City Hall. The annual cost of the tag is $25 per dog. At the time of registration, the owner must provide proof of vaccination against rabies.
A dog owner must:
- ensure that the dog wears his tag
- keep the dog on his property
- keep the dog on a leash (maximum length: 7 feet) at all times when outside an enclosed area
- immediately pick up dog droppings and dispose of them in a sanitary manner
- ensure that the dog does not disturb the peace (barking), or damage the property of others
An owner of a so-called “guard dog” must post, in plain view, a pictogram at the main entrances to his residence and yard, reporting the presence of a “guard dog”, which is any dog trained as a guard dog or to protect property through aggressive behaviour.
If you have lost your dog without identification, Contrôle Animal Vaudreuil-Soulanges, the company that takes care of stray animals in Dorval, can be reached at 450 510-1508.
Dogs are welcome in the fenced dog runs located at Bourke Park (on Bourke Avenue, alongside Highway 20) and at the Surrey Aquatic and Community Centre (1945 Parkfield Avenue), where they can run free and play to their hearts’ content, in pleasant and safe surroundings. Here are a few basic rules of etiquette relating to the use and care of these parks:
- Dogs must be on a leash before entering and when leaving the dog run.
- Dog owners must keep their pets under control at all times. Pets must never be left unattended.
- Dog owners must ensure that their animal’s waste is picked up and disposed of in the on-site containers.
- For the sake of all concerned, all park users should refrain from making unnecessary noises (such as shouting or whistling for their pets), especially in the early morning and late evening.
- Dorval’s dog run is for the exclusive use of Dorval residents.
Because the dog runs are located near residential areas, special consideration must be given to ensure that surrounding neighbours are not inconvenienced by users of the facilities.
Information: 514 633-4046
To consult the integral version of the by-law concerning animal control, please click here. (PDF - 26 KB)