Wild Animals

Because of legislation protecting wildlife, wild animals found on or in private properties are no longer captured and relocated. Rather, as part of their contract with the City, animal control agents play an educational role in asking homeowners to take prevention measures, such as ensuring that food is never left outside, that holes allowing animals to nest under a balcony, a shed, or a patio are sealed, that roof, stove, bathroom, chimney vents, and soffit intersections are welled screened or sealed n order to create obstacles for animals seeking shelter in attics. These measures tend to discourage potential boarders: if they cannot find shelter or food in the immediate area, they will move on.

If a nest is found under a patio or balcony, the following tip can help dislodge the unwanted animal: place a cloth, dipped in ammonia and attached to a stick, deep into the den and repeat this procedure every day for 7 to 10 days. The strong odour will chase away the unwanted guest and you can then block access to the den. For racoons, it is recommended to install bright lights and to turn on a radio. These animals come out at night and will shy away from light and noise. Block all accesses following their departure. For animals that chew on trees and shrubs, it is recommended to use a thyram-based fungicide spray. This product does not affect the wood, but its bad taste will keep squirrels, ground hogs, etc. at bay.

For other advice on how to get rid of harmful small animals, visit the webiste of the ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs by clicking here.

For public sanitary purposes, you should never feed pigeons, gulls, and seagulls. As for other wild birds, feeding them on your private property is allowed. The animal control by-law forbids the feeding of stray cats and quadrupeds belonging to the urban fauna.

Contrôle Animal Vaudreuil-Soulanges, the company that takes care of stray animals in Dorval, can be reached at 450 510-1508 to:

  • Report having found or captured an animal
  • Report an injured or dead cat, dog, or any other animal by the side of the road
  • Report an injured or dead cat, dog, or any other animal on a private property (pickup with fees)

Information: 514 633-4046

To consult the integral version of the by-law concerning animal control (section on wild animals at point 26), please click here. (PDF - 26 KB)