The priority in snow removal is given to the main roads and the ones where circulate STM buses. To reduce removal costs, snow at the edge of streets can be blown onto properties. On main streets where salt is required, the snow is hauled away. Where the space belonging to the City is insufficient, the snow is also carted away.
Snow removal operations
- Spreading of abrasives, according to the temperature or the type of precipitation.
- Snowplowing the streets and sidewalks. Priority is given to streets according to their level established in the City’s snow removal policy.
- Removal of the snow.
- Spreading of abrasives on streets and sidewalks if needed or when precipitation has ended, following the removal of the snow.
To improve safety, we urge parents to discuss precautionary measures around heavy equipment with their children. Children should be reminded, for example, to either use adjoining streets when snow clearing is taking place or to await the passing of the equipment in an nearby driveway.
According to by-law no. 1465-97, it is forbidden for anyone to:
- Push snow into the street or to deposit snow onto a public road.
- To cause or tolerate snow and ice accumulations which exceed three (3) meters in height or which reduce visibility for motorists.
- Push snow within a 1.2 meter radius of a fire hydrant.
Snow removal contractor
You are asked to ensure that your contractor respects the provisions of the City's by-law concerning noise and the disposal of snow.
The City of Dorval would like to remind you that if you are employing a contractor to clear snow from a parking area, he must first obtain a permit for this purpose from the Urban Planning Department.
Non-compliance with this provision can result in the offending contractor obtaining a fine from the City’s Public Security Service. Please ensure that your contractors possess a permit when hiring them.
As of January 4, 2018, the following contractors hold an official permit:
- Bel Air
- Bo pelouse
- Boreal Landscaping
- Groupe Nicky
- Les Entreprises Clifton D.R.A.M. Inc
- Les Entreprises R. Landry
- Les Excavations K. Mcelligott Inc.
- Lewis Landscaping
- Marina Materials & Equipement
- Paysagistes J R Donato
- Paysagiste LGD Inc.
- Pierre Phillips Inc.
- PJC Lawn & Snow
This list will be updated on a regular basis.
For more information on snow removal contractors, contact Urban Planning at 514 633-4084.
Information: 514 633-4046
To consult the complete regulations on snow removal, click here (PDF in French only - 313 KB).